A big problem with the upgrade was trying to switch from a SQLite to MySQL database. To do this, I had to export all my entries (easy) and create an empty MySQL database (also easy). Then I need to reconfigure movable type to look at the MySQL database, instead of the SQLite databse (super easy). Then I rebuild my blog, delete the old SQLite database, and have a Guinness to celebrate (pending.)
Still with me?
Okay. So here's the problem: my export file is 37M, and the server tiems out when it's trying to import that file. I didn't know what to do about that, and all this week, I haven't had the time to figure out a solution. Luckily, Jay told me that I can break up my thirty-seven megabyte text file into as many smaller text files as I want, and import each one. They won't overwrite each other (which is what I thought they'd do), and when I'm done, I should have a fully functional weblog.
However, thirty-seven megs of plain text is a ton of data, and I don't have time to cut it all up, upload, it, and repeat that process probably ten times or so. I probably won't have time until next week. Luckily, I have 26 days remaining before Typepad comes around with a baseball bat and a paper bag.
A quick thought on TypePad: It's awesome. The interface I've been using to update is the nicest WYSIWYG interface I've ever used for anything, and the way they let you choose templates and styles is awesome. In fact, if TypePad had existed back when I started WWdN, I doubt I would have ever configured and installed my software on my own server.
When WWdN comes back, expect it to look and feel a lot like this, but without any of the fixed-width stuff.